Doctor of Sciences in Physics and Mathematics,
Head of the Department
Brief Curriculum Vitae
First name: Demuri
Date and place of birth: 21/01/1948, Tbilisi
Affiliation and official address: M. Nodia Institute of Geophysics
of I. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University
M. Aleksidze str.,1, 0160 Tbilisi, Georgia
Tel: (+99532) 2-333-814 (office); (+995 32) 2-798-230 (home); Mob: 995 574 753-218
Home address: Tbilisi, Varketili-3, microdistrict 3, building 322, flat 64
2005 – Doctor of Sciences in Physics and Mathematics.
2005 – Certificate on nested-grid modeling of the Black Sea circulation. Training Courses; Sofia, Bulgaria.
1982 – Candidate of Sciences in Physics and Mathematics (analogous to Ph. Doctor degree).
1971 – Physicist, Specialty “Theoretical Physics” ( analogous to Master’s degree). I. Javakhishvili
Tbilisi State University, Tbilisi, Georgia.
2018 – Head of the Department of Modeling the Sea and Atmospherere Dynamics of M. Nodia Institute of
Geophysics of I. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University.
1989-2005; 2006-2018 – Leading Scientist; Main Scientist. Department of Mathematical Modeling of
Geophysical Processes in the Sea and Atmosphea of M. Nodia Institute of Geophysics
of I. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University.
1996-2006 – Head of the Laboratory of Dynamic Meteorology at the Institute of Hydrometeorology of
Georgian National Academy of Sciences (Tbilisi).
1993-1995 – Deputy Director of the Republican Center of Environmental Monitoring at the Ministry of
Environment Protection of Georgia (Tbilisi).
1992-1993 – The head of the Department of Hydrometeorology and Analysis of Environmental State in the
Ministry of Environmental Protection of Georgia,
1977-1982; 1982-1989 – Junior Scientist; Senior Scientist. Trans-Caucasian Hydrometeorological Research
1974-1977 – Postgraduate Student. Hydrometeorological Center USSR (Moscow), Computing Center of the
Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences USSR (Novosibirsk, Akademgorodok).
Sphere of Scientific Activity
Mathematical modeling of hydro and thermodynamic processes in the Black Sea and atmosphere and pollution dispersion processes in the Black Sea. Elaboration of software on the algorithmic language “Fortran” for numerical models. Has up to 170 publications in the above spheres .
Scientific Supervisor of 4 master’s theses for a master’s degree on the faculty of Applied Mathematics and Computer Sciences of I. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University.
Participation in the International Scientific Events (since 2013)
– International scientific and practical Conference “Estimation and rational use of the natural resource potential in conditions of global warming”. Academician G. A. Aliev Institute of Geography. Baku, Azerbaidjan, 3-5 June, 2013;
– VI International scientific and practical Conference “Internet and Sociaty” (INS0-2013). Akaki Tsereteli State University, Kutaisi, 6-7 June, 2013;
– International scientific Conference “Marine Research Horizon 2020”, MARES2020, Institute of Oceanology, Varna, Bolgaria, 17-20 September, 2013;
– International scientific and technical Conference “Actual Problems of Hydrometeorology and Ecology “, Hydrometeorological Institute of the Georgian Technical University, Tbilisi, 28-29 May, 2013;
– International scientific Conference “Modern Problems of Geography “ dedicated to the 80 anniversary of Vakhushty Bagrationi Institute of Geography, Tbilisi, 7-9 November, 2013;
– II International Conference “Modern Problems of Applied Mathematics “, I. Vekua Institute of Applied Mathematics of I. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, Tbilisi, 4-7 September, 2013;
– European Geoscience Union General Assembly (EGU 2014), 27 April-2 May, 2014, Vienna, Austria;
– 2nd International Ocean Research Conference, Barselona, Spain, 16-21 November, 2014;
– The 12th International Conference on the Mediterranean Coastal Envronment-MEDCOAST15, 6-10 October 2015, Varna, Bulgaria;
– VII International scientific and practical Conference “Internet and Sociaty” (INS0-2015). Akaki Tsereteli State University, Kutaisi, 10-11 July, 2015;
– V International scientific and technical Conference “Modern Problems of Water Management, Environmental Protection, Architecture and Construction”, Tsotne Mirtskhulava Water Management Institute of Georgian Technical University, 16-19 July, 2015;
– VI International annual meeting of the Georgian Mechanical Union. Georgian Aviation University, Tbilisi, Georgia, 30 September – 4 October 2015;
– International scientific Conference dedicated to the 85 anniversary of Academician Iveri Frangishvili “Information and Computer Technologies, Modeling, Management“, Georgian Technical University, Tbilisii, 2015;
– Black Sea from Space Workshop, 28-30 September 2016, Constanta, Romania;
– VIII International scientific and practical Conference “Internet and Sociaty” (INS0-2017). Akaki Tsereteli State University, Kutaisi, 7-8 July, 2017;
– The 13th MEDCOAST Congress on Coastal and Marine Sciences, Engineering, Management and Conservation – MEDCOAST17, 31 October – 4 November, 2017, Mellieha, Malta.
– GEOLINKS International Conference, Athens, Greece, 26-29 March 2019.
2019-2022 – Researcher in the scientific project “Research and forecast of contamination of Tbilisi region by
particles PM2.5 and PM10” funded by Rustaveli National Science Foundation of Georgia
2013-2015 – Researcher in the national scientific project “Improvement and expansion of the regional
forecasting system of the state of the easternmost part of the Black Sea including forecast of
transport of polluting substances” funded by Rustaveli National Science Foundation of Georgia.
2009-2011 – Researcher (in Georgian team) in the International scientific project Upgrade Black Sea
Scientific Network funded by EU.
2008-2010- Researcher (in Georgian team) in the International scientific project ADAMS (Advanced
assimilation Methods) funded by French National Science foundation.
2007-2010 – Researcher (in Georgian team) in the project ECOOP (Coastal-shelf sea operati¬onal
observing and forecasting system) funded by the EU.
2006-2008 – Researcher (in Georgian team) in the project “ Black Sea Scientific Network” funded by
2003-2006 – Researcher (in Georgian team) in the project ARENA (A Regional Capacity Building and
Networking Programme to Upgrade Monitoring and Forecasting Activity in the Black Sea Basin)
funded by the EU.
1999-2002 – Researcher in mathematical modelling group of Georgia in the NATO project: „ Black Sea
Ecosystem Processes and Forecasting/Operational Database Management System“.
Recent selected publications
1. Kordzadze A. A, Demetrashvili D. I. Operational forecast of hydrophysical fields in the
Georgian Black Sea coastal zone within the ECOOP. Ocean Science, 2011, 7, pp.793-803,
www.ocean-sci.net/7/793/2011/, doi: 10.5194/os-7-793-2011.
2. Kordzadze A., Demetrashvili D. About coupled regional modeling system the Black Sea-
atmosphere. Journal of Environmental Protection and Ecology (JEPE), 2011, vol.12(1),
3. Kordzadze A. A, Demetrashvili D. I. Regional operational forecasting system for the easternmost part of
the Black Sea. Ecological safety of coastal and shelf zones and comprehensive use of shelf recourses:
Collected scientific papers. Iss.25, vol.2/NAS of Ukraine, MHI, Sevastopol, 2011, pp.136-146 (in
4. Demetrashvili D. I., Kvaratskhelia D. U. Numerical Study of the Vertical Hydrological
Structure of the Black Sea under Transitive Climatic Forcing Conditions. Bulletin of the
Georgian National Academy of Sciences. 2012, vol.6, N2, pp.83-88.
5. Kordzadze A. A., Demetrashvili D. I. Coastal forecasting system for the easternmost part of
the Black Sea. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 2012, 12, pp.471-477,
doi: 10.4194/1303-2712-v12_2_38. www.trjfas.org.
6. Kordzadze A. A, Demetrashvili D. I. Short-Range Forecast of Hydrophysical Fields in the Eastern Part
of the Black Sea. Izvestiya AN. Fizika Atmosfery i Okeana, 2013, Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 733–745 (in
7. Kordzadze A. A, Demetrashvili D. I., Surmava A. A. Dynamical Processes developed in the easternmost
part of the Black Sea in warm period for 2010-2013. J. Georgian Geophys. Soc.,2013, vol.16b,pp.3-16.
8. Demetrashvili D. I., Davitashvili T. P. Numerical modeling of spilled oil seasonal transport
processes into Georgian coastal zone of the Black Sea. Black Sea Energy Resource Development
and Hydrogen Energy Problems. Series: “NATO Science for peace and Security C:
Environmental Security.” Springer, 2013.
9. Demetrashvili D., Davitashvili T. A modeling study of meso-scale air flow over the
mountainous relief with variable in time large-scale background flow. Bulletin of the Georgian
National Academy of Sciences, 2013, t.7, N 2, pp.57-65.
10. Kordzadze A. A., Demetrashvili D. I., Kukhalashvili V. G. Easternmost Black Sea Regional
Forecasting System. Proceed. of the 12th International Conference on the Mediterranean Coastal
Environment – MEDCOAST 2015, 6-10 October, Varna, Bulgaria, t.2, pp.769-780.
11. Kordzadze A. A., Demetrashvili D. I. Operational forecast for the eastern Black Sea.
Proceed. of the 13th International MEDCOAST Congress on coastal and marine
Sciences, engineering, management and conservation. MEDCOAST 2017, 31 October-4
November 2017, Mellieha, Malta, t.2, pp.1215-1224.
12. Kordzadze A., Demetrashvili D. The Black Sea Oceanography in the Past and at Current Stage. I.
Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University press. 2017, 187 p (in Georgian).
Honours, Awards, Fellowships, Membership of professional Societies
2018 – Member of the Editorial Board of the scientific journal “Morskoii Gidrofizicheskii zhurnal” of the
Academy of Sciences of Russia
2014 – Member of European Geosciences Union (EGU)
2012 – Laureate of M. Nodia prize in Geophysics
2011 – Academic of Georgian Academy of Ecological Sciences
2009- Ocean expert
2008 – National correspondent from Georgia in the International Association for the Physical Sciences of the
2003 – Medal of Honour of Georgia № 02124
1997 – Corresponding Member of the Academy of Ecological Sciences